St. John Bosco wrestler earns top honor at CIF tournament
Zahid Valencia of St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower was named the CIF Player of the Year in the lower weight classes at the recent California Interscholastic Federation Individual Tournament, as the Braves took second place in the team competition.
Valencia, who competes in the 132-pound weight class, was one of three Braves’ individual champions. The others were Julian Gendreau (112 pounds) and Anthony Valencia (170 pounds). Matt Williams (150 pounds) and Joseph Dominguez (138 pounds) each took third place in their weight classes.
All five were named to compete in the CIF Masters Meet Feb. 28 and March 1 at Citizens Bank Arena in Ontario. The top nine finishers in each weight class will advance to the CIF State tournament.
More from this section:
- Lauren Peters awarded full scholarship to Concordia College
- Bishop Alemany comes from behind to beat Harvard-Westlake 4-3 in crucial Mission League matchup
- Crescenta Valley Tournament results
- Damien Boys Volleyball shines in day one of annual Crescenta Valley tournament
- St. Paul beats La Salle in “mercy rule” rout for second time this season