Three Catholic school teachers honored
A beloved teacher at St. Pius X-St. Matthias Academy in Downey recently received an unexpected surprise: Sarah Barriga was one of five educators honored as an “extraordinary teacher” by the local business community during Teacher Appreciation Week (May 5-9).
St. Pius X-St. Matthias students secretly nominated the 11th grade teacher for the award. A total of 1,639 nomination forms were submitted by K-12 students to Stonewood Center in Downey, Lakewood Center and Los Cerritos Center, which partnered with the School Cents program for Teacher Appreciation Week.
Each teacher received a $25 gift card and had their winning bios posted online. Barriga was described as “a friend and confidante to her students, taking extra time to counsel students when they are struggling with school and home life, helping them to face their problems.”
Also honored with Teachers Week awards were Norma Aguilera, world languages teacher at St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower, and Bernadette Windsor, eighth grade teacher at St. Helen School in South Gate. (Visit www.shopstonewoodcenter.com/Events/Details/205568?startDate=5%2F10%2F2014.)
More from this section:
- Ash Wednesday blessing at pro-life office, Holy Innocents Church
- Knights honor 10th grader for religious liberty essay
- St. Anthony seniors among top 10 in international student film competition
- St. Mary Medical Center partners with Long Beach schools to promote weeklong ‘Kindness Challenge’
- Raising funds for the St. James community