Three Catholic school teachers honored
A beloved teacher at St. Pius X-St. Matthias Academy in Downey recently received an unexpected surprise: Sarah Barriga was one of five educators honored as an “extraordinary teacher” by the local business community during Teacher Appreciation Week (May 5-9).
St. Pius X-St. Matthias students secretly nominated the 11th grade teacher for the award. A total of 1,639 nomination forms were submitted by K-12 students to Stonewood Center in Downey, Lakewood Center and Los Cerritos Center, which partnered with the School Cents program for Teacher Appreciation Week.
Each teacher received a $25 gift card and had their winning bios posted online. Barriga was described as “a friend and confidante to her students, taking extra time to counsel students when they are struggling with school and home life, helping them to face their problems.”
Also honored with Teachers Week awards were Norma Aguilera, world languages teacher at St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower, and Bernadette Windsor, eighth grade teacher at St. Helen School in South Gate. (Visit www.shopstonewoodcenter.com/Events/Details/205568?startDate=5%2F10%2F2014.)
More from this section:
- Holy Innocents Church to join day of protest against Planned Parenthood
- Ss. Peter and Paul Parish celebrates sesquicentennial, 1865-2015
- St. Raymond Parish hosts talk on end-of-life issues
- Holy Family Artesia to present free ‘Concert Under the Stars’
- Local government and St. Joseph Church address mental health