Three Catholic school teachers honored
A beloved teacher at St. Pius X-St. Matthias Academy in Downey recently received an unexpected surprise: Sarah Barriga was one of five educators honored as an “extraordinary teacher” by the local business community during Teacher Appreciation Week (May 5-9).
St. Pius X-St. Matthias students secretly nominated the 11th grade teacher for the award. A total of 1,639 nomination forms were submitted by K-12 students to Stonewood Center in Downey, Lakewood Center and Los Cerritos Center, which partnered with the School Cents program for Teacher Appreciation Week.
Each teacher received a $25 gift card and had their winning bios posted online. Barriga was described as “a friend and confidante to her students, taking extra time to counsel students when they are struggling with school and home life, helping them to face their problems.”
Also honored with Teachers Week awards were Norma Aguilera, world languages teacher at St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower, and Bernadette Windsor, eighth grade teacher at St. Helen School in South Gate. (Visit www.shopstonewoodcenter.com/Events/Details/205568?startDate=5%2F10%2F2014.)
More from this section:
- Free Prop 47 Reclassification Clinics offer help changing felony convictions to misdemeanors
- St. Francis Medical Center forms ‘human-chain heart’ for American Heart Month
- NFL veteran awards Golden Football to St. Anthony High School
- Marymount California University baseball coach a producer of new Mother Teresa film
- Engineering corporation partners with St. Catherine Labouré School for student automotive design challenge