Paraclete HS teacher selected for Supreme Court Summer Institute
Rick McGuire, Paraclete High School civics teacher, will travel to Washington D.C. this month to attend the prestigious Supreme Court Summer Institute, open to teachers in the fields of law-related and civic education.
McGuire is among 60 teachers (and the only Catholic school teacher) selected to attend the Institute, co-sponsored by Street Law, Inc. and the Supreme Court Historical Society.
The Institute offers teachers the opportunity to study recent Supreme Court Cases in detail and learn innovative teaching methodology for conveying this information to students. Teachers will visit the Court to attend decisions and a reception. Upon returning home, teachers will be available to present workshops on the U.S. Supreme Court.
At Paraclete, McGuire also serves as moderator for the Mock Trial team and Lettermen’s Club, and has been head track coach since 2004. He holds a Bachelor of science degree in criminal justice with a minor in economics from Cal State Bakersfield.
More from this section:
- Grief counseling offered for the widowed and divorced
- Dr. Ross Porter to speak on the gift of special needs children
- St. Mel Parish to host catechism class for special needs students
- Crespi Carmelite High School announces new president
- Catholic school teacher selected to attend Library of Congress program